Thursday, December 2, 2010

Luke Chapter 2

Wow one of the greatest chapters in the Bible.

Today in the town town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:11

Salvation. God gave it to us in the form a tiny baby his birth, his birthday. It is what we celebrate, (his indescribable gift 2 Corinthians 9:15), the reason for the season.

Nothing could but me more in the Christmas spirit than the nativity story. We have nativities all around our house looking at them today I will carry over the cheerful tears that came from reading this passage.

Some of the questions I have always had about Jesus were:

What was he like as child, a baby?
Did his parents just stand in awe over him?
Did he do any wrong?
How would you discipline the Lord?

There is not much there about it but except two small verses at the end of the chapter. 2:52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and favor with God and men. to me this means everyone like him and God smiled as he watched his son grow. I can imagine him as one of those kids you are just drawn to that everyone loves.

The second glimpse into Him as a child is the preceding verse. Where Jesus was at the temple and his parents had not realized it and when they found Him he was studying. 2:51 He was obedient to them [his parents]. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. Is this his mischief? Did he have normal little boy characteristics? I think so. This passage leads me to believe that there probably were a lot of circumstances where he did not think he was doing wrong but his parents had to look at it from a different angle to know he was right. And how great that Mary treasured it all! How blessed she was.

As a mother of 3 boys I know how wonderful they are. They can be so sweet. They can be so challenging. Last night as I was leaving church with my three I had my hands full. My oldest besides me my youngest in my arms in his big fluffy coat. Along with a diaper bag the two older boys bags and my purse. My middle child was running ahead up the winding stairs. By the time I got to the next floor he was no where in sight. I sighed I don't need this right now little one where are you. He is old enough I was not to worried. I was thinking this would just add extra time and messing around we don't need. It was snowing outside I thought maybe he went to see the flurries. No. My oldest asked 3 other kids sitting by the door have you seen my brother go outside they said no. I heard a piano playing in the auditorium I went to check and see if that was him. No. I guess he went back down stairs to find us. Maybe just riding the elevator up and down as the kids like to push the buttons. But my oldest handled it all for me. He waled to the stairs and in a 7 year old fashion yelled EVAN! It worked Evan came running up. When I told him not to run off he said I had to pee. Unlike Mary I was not amused. I did not treasure that. I scolded him for not staying with us. The patients she had. I want to be more like Mary.

Last night at AWANAS the children dressed as a Bible character. Mine were little kings. They love to dress up and anytime they can carry a sword it is a better day.

Photobucket
King Evan the wanderer

Photobucket

King Gregory and King Evan

Photobucket

90_20_9_prev

3 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great post :) LOVE their costumes.

I'm posting my experiences over at my family blog: http://butterflywishesformygirls.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

Your boys are precious! Luke is one of my favorite books in the Bible.

Mama Keene said...

Your boys are adorable and I love your take on Chapter two of Luke!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...