Thursday, February 7, 2013

Vegan Rice Dip

I have been  trying to find a good Spanish or Mexican rice for the longest time.  One more like restaurant style than not.  I have tried every box recipe and have not like any.  I have tried so many finds on the internet and none come out with the taste I like.  I saw this rice recipe the other day and tried it.  It was not what I was looking for as far as a Spanish or Mexican rice but was a good vegan, very filling rice with lots of fiber that tasted great with chips.  I started with their basic recipe but I changed it to fit our style.  And what we had in the fridge/freezer that needed to be used up.

Ingredients:
2 medium onions, diced small
3 medium carrots, finely diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced or diced small
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup corn kernels, drained
3 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder or granulated onion
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon dried cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
2 teaspoons salt
3 cups beans, 1 15 oz can black beans and 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained

Directions:
1. In a large pan, saute onion and carrots in oil over medium heat until onions begin to look translucent and carrots are tender-crisp.

 photo d76308e6-3efe-4f9c-89ca-eb541f4ffe89_zpsc8af1d4e.jpg
2. Add garlic and lemon juice saute for 1 additional minute.
3. Stir in corn, rice, water, and seasonings and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
4. Gently stir in beans. Cook until heated thoroughly.

 photo IMG_8604_zps94904f73.jpg

This side dish is great with tortilla chips and cilantro   I thought it needed a little bit of a sauce too so I added a touch of jalapeno ranch sauce with it also.  However then it is no longer vegan just vegetarian but if you are okay with that it tasted great.

 photo IMG_8607_zpsa2ca0b1a.jpg


1 comment:

michelle said...

Yummm! Almost makes me wanna be vegan! Almost. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...