Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spanish Rice

I have always been a big rice lover.  I love it as a side when I am at a Tex Mex restaurant.  All restaurants are different but for the most part I really like the rice when I order out.  However I have never been able to recreate that taste here at home.  I have tried all the box or bag versions at store trust me ALL, and none of them come close.  Ninety percent of them are horrible.  I have tried many I find floating around them web and none are right either.  This one is also not one you would find in a restaurant but it has more flavor and more texture, which makes me wonder why am I looking for the restaurant one?  

Gather you ingredients...

 photo IMG_9999_zps3a38fdd9.jpg


Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked rice
1 14-ounce can chicken broth
1 cup medium chunky salsa 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil

any amount of chopped hot pepper you chose 


 photo IMG_9995_zpsae6834e7.jpg

Keep an eye out for jalapeno thieves under the table!

Chop the vegetables. Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the onions, celery, garlic and rice. Saute until the rice just begins to brown, about 8-10 minutes. 


 photo IMG_0001_zpsd6f0cd2b.jpg

Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat,

 photo IMG_0002_zpsbda2fa3b.jpg

 cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is done.​

 photo IMG_0008_zps475229c2.jpg

Aw, beautiful.  Remember you do not stir rice, fluff it with a fork.  This was a good flavorful rice that pairs well with all Mexican, Tex Mex  dishes such as chile rellenos casserole.

 photo IMG_0010_zps9d353113.jpg

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...